I was also able to locate the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtniskirche located in the heart of Berlin. This church was built in the 1890's and was completely destroyed by bombs in 1943. However, the tower remained a scantily supported fragment and has since become a landmark and monument to the war. It was fascinating to walk in the city and on one side of the street see buildings barely surviving the Second World War and on the other side seeing buildings built according to the latest style. I was able to catch some nice pictures showing the contrast.
Saturday, June 14, 2008
Berlin, Germany
Last week I had to go down to the Thule Concept Store in Berlin for a visit. A few of us flew down Monday afternoon, did some touring that night, and then we spent Tuesday in the Thule store. After a long day in Berlin, we flew back home to Copenhagen, Denmark, late Tuesday evening. While in Berlin I wanted to do some sightseeing of the historical sites from the Cold War Era when Berlin was divided into East and West Berlin - or in other words between the Americans and the Russians. I went to a site where the Berlin Wall, which was erected in the 1960's, once stood, and it wasn't until November 1989 it came down. Anyone who tried to cross it without permission were shot down.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment